|Parliament's reasons for enacting this Act are:
'1. Century Zinc Limited is developing a project involving preparing for and operating a base metal mine to recover zinc, lead and silver from a deposit at Lawn Hill, processing and concentrating the ore, transporting the concentrate slurry by pipeline to Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria, dewatering the ore, barging and shipping it for export and other related activities.
2. After negotiations under the right to negotiate provisions of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth), the parties to the negotiations have made the agreement allowing certain acts do be done.
3. The project will better provide infrastructure and services for people and businesses in the area known as the Carpentaria-Mount Isa mineral province.
4. The project will provide employment for Queenslanders and in particular the people of the mineral province.
5. The project will improve the economy of Queensland and Australia.
6. The project will result in social and other benefits for all people of the mineral province.
7. It is important that any native title should not be extinguished by the grant of a right to mine or acquisition of land or interests in land affected by the project and it is not intended to prevent native title claims being pursued.
8. It is in the national and State interest that the project start without delay' (long title).