The agreement area covers about 1,001 sq km on Warraber (Sue Island) in the Torres Strait.
The Extract from the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements identifies the area subject to this ILUA, per schedule 2 of the agreement, as the proposed Lot 125 (bounded by the given coordinates). For more information, see the documents attached below.
The agreement commenced on 22 January 2018, that being the date that it was signed by the last of the parties. It has effect as an ILUA from the date that it was entered onto the Register of Indigenous Land Use Agreements, 29 May 2018.
The agreement may be ended by the written agreement of the parties.
Native Title Provisions:
Right to negotiate
The parties agree that the right to negotiate provisions of the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) apply to the acts authorised under this agreement.
Any act done by non-native title parties under this agreement will not extinguish native title rights and interests.
Future act provisions
Where the State of Queensland has given a Project Notice to the Warraberalgal (Torres Strait Islanders) Corporation RNTBC, the parties consent to:
- the Torres Strait Regional Council (as Trustee) granting any social housing lease for the purpose of the social housing project;
- the registration of any social housing lease under the Land Act 1994 (Qld), the Land Title Act 1994 (Qld) or the Torres Strait Island Land Act 1991 (Qld);
- the doing of any activity contemplated by any social housing lease, including any surveys, grants of any authorities, construction or renovation of social houses, the clearing of land, the use of any social houses and land, and the creation of any interests (except for freehold title or the renewal/extension of a lease);
- the State of Queensland surrendering any part of any social housing lease to facilitate the Regional Council granting any interest in the land subsequent to any social housing lease for any other purpose except social housing; and
- the doing of any social housing infrastructure works.
Native Title in the Agreement Area:
The ILUA is within the area of native title recognised in the Federal Court of Australia proceeding Warraber People v State of Queensland  FCA 1066 (FCA file no.: QUD6073/1998; NNTT file no.: QCD2000/004).