Between: Jimmy Wavehill on behalf of the Wubalawun Group (Applicant)
Northern Territory of Australia (Respondent)
Judge: White J
Native title exists in parts of the determination area
It consists of non-exclusive native title rights and interests.
Native title holders
The Wubalawun Estate Group.
Non-exclusive native title rights and interests over part of the determination area
These rights exist over the area described in Schedule C and include the rights of members of the Wubalawun Estate Group to:
- access, stay on, and use the area;
- take, for any purpose, the resources of the area; and
- protect places, areas, and things of traditional significance on the area.
Members of the estate groups associated with neighbouring estates and the spouses of the members of the Wubalawun group have the rights to:
- access, remain on and use the area; and
- access the resources of the area.
Non-native title rights and interests in the determination area include:
- The rights and interests of Telstra Corporation Limited as owner or operator of telecommunications in the area; held due to the specific statutes; allowing for the access to their telecommunications facilities in the area in the performance of specific duties; and under any licence, access, or easement agreement relating to its facilities in the area.
- The rights of Aboriginal persons, whether or not native title holders, by virtue of the Northern Territory
Aboriginal Sacred Sites Act 1989 (NT).
- The rights of access by an employee, servant, agent or instrumentality of the Northern Territory,
Commonwealth or other statutory authority as required in the performance of his or her statutory duties.
- The rights and interests held due to the Water Act (NT).
- The interests of persons who have rights and interests which have been:
granted by the Crown using statute or its executive power, or granted by
See Schedule E for further information about the non-native title rights and interests.
In the case of conflict, the exercise of non-native title rights and interests will prevail over the non-exclusive native title
The Top End (Default PC/CLA) Aboriginal Corporation Registered Native Title Body Corporate (RNTBC) is the prescribed body corporate. It performs the functions required under the Native Title Act 1993 (Cth) and acts as agent for the Wubalawun Estate Group.
Full text of the determination is available via the URL link above.